Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Vertualization of Unmodified Operating Systems

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Vertualization of Unmodified Operating Systems
From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:34:00 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:34:21 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:
>>>Xen and OpenBSD running under Xen are rapidly rising to the
>>
>>top of my
>>
>>>list of things to work with as general availability of AM2-socket
>>>motherboards and revision F AMD64 chips approaches. Xen and
>>
>>hardware
>>
>>>virtualization have been for a while now at the very top of
>>
>>the list of topics I follow in the news.
>>
>>OpenBSD 3.9 works quite fine (installed using the native
>>installer in the virtualized environment!) as an unmodified
>>guest on my Intel VT box, with following caveats:
>>
>>*) pcn(4) - aka AMD Pcnet does not seem to work well with the
>>emulated one (send works - receive does not)
>>
>>*) ne(4) does work but is complaining about corrupted nic
>>memory under heavy traffic (does not seem to affect it much
>>other than logging th errors)
>

> Thanks for the success report. We haven't been testing OpenBSD so its
> useful to hear it works OK.
>
> I'd be interested to hear whether pcnet32 works under the latest version
> of qemu, in which case it should be easy to fix on xen/vt.
>
> Also, are you using a 32, 32p, or 64 bit hypervisor? Have you tried
> other combinations? (I'm guessing you're using a 32b guest, but do you
> have pae enabled?)
> Have you tried other combinations? Are there any stress tests you can
> run to give it a good workout?

played a bit with various combinations (after upgrading to a 64 bit
hypervisor) and it looks like I'm hitting some issues (not too surprising):

*) a 32b guest seems to continue to work though starting more than one
(either another OpenBSD instance or WindowsXP) seems to completely
freeze the whole box (no logs or errors - just freezes).
Starting a single unmodified guest does not seem to trigger that issue ...

*) trying to install a 64bit guest segfaults qemu-dm when the installer
tries to boot the initial kernel:

qemu-dm[5117]: segfault at 00002ab60f896008 rip 00002ab5efa21040 rsp
00007fffffcb8f48 error 4

this on should be quite easy to reproduce by downloading
ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/amd64/cd39.iso (4MB) and
using that as "cdrom" in the configfile.
Boot from there and watch the VNC connection dying a few seconds later :-)

all this testing  is with a checkout of the xen-unstable tree from a day
ago or so on a Pentium D920 box.

Stefan