RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Urge caution on Xenlinux code changes

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Urge caution on Xenlinux code changes
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:38:55 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:39:15 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OK, I think most efforts currently on-going in the xen/ia64 community
are agreed at last xen winter summit, like converting dom0 from p==m
to p!=m, moving iosapic from dom0 to xen, event callback, guest SMP,
etc. They are raised mainly to make up xen/ia64 infrastructure and thus
to support more common xen features, like network/balloon/driver
domain, etc. They're agreed due to those features are basic
components within Xen world, and thus people have to do necessary
changes including ones to xenlinux.

We may reverse some logic later once xen is getting cleaner interface
abstraction, but that doesn't become the resistance against current
trend by borrowing xen/x86's logic into xen/ia64. Actually it's more
difficult to reshuffle a product when different architectures have quite
different basic infrastructures. If all architectures are basically uniformed
(for those arch independent features), it's easier to make decision as a
whole.

Also it would be interesting to see such sentence: "back out MANY of
the changes ... because the community will NEVER accept them". As
Ian said in attached news, most functional units are similar with
difference mostly coming from different people developing in different
ways. When several approaches are converging, all requires relative
changes and that process is unavoidable. However that doesn't means
xen/ia64 developers have to wait simply because xen/x86 may change
in the future. We have to catch up with common features first. Along
this process, we can also help abstract xenlinux changes if necessary.

>All on this list know that I am a fan of "transparent
>paravirtualization"

Once again, I want to show my different view upon this "transparent".
To me, here transparent more means run-time transparent instead of
static transparent (meant code level). People are always conservative
to modify linux code, however it's worthy if the change benefits
virtualization at same time with negligible influence for native running
by same binary.

>but, in all of the early Xenlinux/ia64 paravirtualization work, I
>have also worked for "optimized paravirtualization", which minimizes
>the number of changes making only those required to maximize
>performance.

This depends on how you to define requirements.

>I would like to urge caution for all Xen/ia64 developers.  We
>should NOT be making changes to Linux just to "increase sharing
>with Xen/x86 code" especially using the argument that we will
>"reduce maintenance efforts" as I predict, in the long run, we
>may actually be increasing our maintenance efforts.

Then we SHOULD make changes to Linux to "increase sharing with
Xen/x86 code" especially using the argument that we will "reduce
maintenance efforts" AT THE SAME TIME:
        - to support more missing features claimed in xen user manual, or
        - to increase performance more efficiently
And then finally improve xen/ia64 completeness.

To me, most efforts currently on xen/ia64 community are actually
following above direction.

So my point is simple: let's just do things right...

Thanks,
Kevin