Re: [Xen-devel] xm mem-max and mem-set

To: "Anthony Liguori" <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm mem-max and mem-set
From: "Ky Srinivasan" <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 07:30:10 -0600
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 06:31:06 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The patch I have is for the hypervisor. The reason for the crash is the
current Linux code cannot deal with a failure when it tries to give up a
contiguous region and repopulate the the region with potentially
non-contiguous pages (refer to hypervisor.c for this).

Regards,

K. Y

Ky Srinivasan wrote:
> It appears that these commands (and code backing these commands) do
no
> sanity checking and could potentially get the system to crash if the
> values picked are not appropriate. For instance one can set the mem-
max
> value to a value that appears reasonable and basically render the
> machine unusable. Consider the case where max value being set is
less
> than what is currently allocated to the domain. All subsequent
> allocations will fail and these failures are considered fatal in
Linux
> (look at hypervisor.c). Once the domain is up, does it even make
sense
> to lower the max_mem parameter without risking crashing the system?
> Minimally, we should ensure that the mem_max value is at least equal
> what the current domain allocation is. I have a trivial patch to xen
> that implements this logic. This patch fixes a bug we have in our
> bugzilla against SLES10. Would there be interest in such a patch.

I'm slightly concerned about the subtle race condition it would
introduce.  If there's no reason to set max- mem below current
reservation (if it causes crashes which I don't really understand why
it
would) then I think it would be something best enforced within the
hypervisor.

Why, exactly, would setting max- mem below the current reservation
cause
problems in the guest?  I guess it may fail because of grant transfer
ops (in which case, we really ought to enforce it at the hypervisor
level).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori