[Xen-devel] Promiscuous mode of bridge-networking in Dom0

To: ofanged1@xxxxxxxxx, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Promiscuous mode of bridge-networking in Dom0
From: "Amitayu Das" <amitayudas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:51:45 -0400
Cc: rhim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:52:06 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I saw a nice mail about bridging in Xen at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/9538.
Can I ask you a quick question? I've set up bridge-networking for Xen 3.0 and networking was being done properly for Dom0 and DomUs. However, I noticed that Dom0 receives a lot of network interrupts or network packets even when they were not actually meant for either Dom0 or DomU. Now, here are the questions:

1. Dom0 is acting in promiscuous mode, right?

2. If answer to Q1 is yes, can it be stopped and yet have the bridging possible? If the answer is no, any idea why so many interrupts are being generated or if I'm missing something?

3. If I don't want promiscuous mode (to avoid unnecesary interrupts), should I use Route or NAT option for networking? Which one is easier and do they totally avoid promiscuous mode?

Thanks in advance,
Amitayu