Re: [Xen-devel] Error: Received invalid response from Xend, twice.

To: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Error: Received invalid response from Xend, twice.
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:56:37 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 05:56:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 03:51:47PM +0000, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> I sent this to xen-users yesterday and received no replies. Perhaps with a
> better title, it'll stand out to someone here:
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 19:20:51 +0000
> From: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Xen-users] new box, won't boot domU
>
> I just set up a new box that has been giving me trouble since I first cloned
> the xen repo to it.
>
> I started off with "error: can't find a register in class 'BREG' while
> reloading 'asm'" errors that I fixed by changing my gcc profile(gentoo) to
> nopie. That introduced me to a '__guard' error that I fixed by changing my
> gcc profile to nopiesse. I will note for posterity that this was a new Gentoo
> install onto a old celeron with gcc 3.4.5-r1.
>
> Now I've booted dom0 and have a file backed image that I'm trying to boot.
> I'm typing this from mutt running on a domU of a box sitting 4 foot away from
> the offending system, so I thought I'd be able to set it up without issue.
> (Suprise!)
>
> My conversation looks like this:
>
> backlash xen # xend start
> backlash xen # xm create gdom1
> Using config file "gdom1".
> Error: Received invalid response from Xend, twice.
> backlash xen # xend stop
> backlash xen #
>
> I truncated /var/log/xend.log beforehand and am including the entire dump of
> xend.log for the transcript above.
>
> I think the below are the relevant bits:
>
> [Snip log]
>
> Afterwards(before the xend stop), I'm left with a paused Domain-8 in xm list.
>
> Can I enable more debugging?
>
> What should I attempt next?
>
> Is it likely that this is related to the compiler profile I had to choose to
> get "make world" to complete(nopiesse)?

The message "Error: Received invalid response from Xend, twice." means that
Xend has crashed whilst xm was talking to it, xm has retried, and it has
crashed again.  There is a known bug with this happening very intermittently,
but if you are seeing this permanently, I'd say yes, your strange compiler
options are almost certainly to blame.  You might try a full clean make with
those options turned on (you might have a mixed build by accident) but
otherwise, I think you're on your own, sorry.

Ewan.