RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Hypercalls from HVM guests

To: "Steve Ofsthun" <sofsthun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Hypercalls from HVM guests
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:47:27 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 01:48:15 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve,

Interesting subject - I must have missed the September patchset... I've
been thinking a lot about para-virtualized drivers for HVM guests
(because it would improve performance on some functions by a great deal
to avoid intercepting half a dozen IO operations to actually perform a
single transaction - like one READ of the virtual hard-disk).

I'd like to make sure that you're aware that the AMD architecture also
has a VMMCALL instruction, which is opcode (0F 01 D9). It would be great
if you could implement some sort of auto-detect/switching so that your
code works for AMD too. Of course, we could intercept invalid opcode and
interpret the instruction, but that's far from a practical solution, I
would think.

--
Mats