[Xen-devel] /dev/ttyS1 on Xen (domain 0)

To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] /dev/ttyS1 on Xen (domain 0)
From: "John Que" <qwejohn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:35:15 +0300
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:35:38 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On a regular FC4 machine there are 76 device file for /dev/ttyS*.

I tried running minicom on a Xen machine (domain 0) whose serial port
is  connected to a different machine (a machine with no VGA/Keyboard/Mouse).

It gave the following error:

minicom: WARNING: configuration file not found, using defaults
Device /dev/ttyS1 access failed: No such file or directory.

So I checked, and
ls /dev/ttyS* -al
gave only one device file:
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 64 Apr  3 13:05 /dev/ttyS0

My question is :
Is there a possibility to run minicom on domain 0 on Xen?

I also tried adding that device,( which udev didn't create )
by
mknod  /dev/ttyS1 c 4 65
And then I got a bit different error, after running "minicom":
minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS1: No such device or address

Is it inherently impossible to run minicom on domain 0 because
a driver problem or beacuse the kernel should be
configured and built differently (I wonder why exactly, in such a case)?

I must emphasize: don;t get me wrong. This is more of a theoretic
question (meaning that I of course
have other machines for this task, but it ***DOES*** interest
me , in case this cannot work , what is the exact reason for that; is it
have to do to the split driver model (back/front dirvers) of Xen?

Regards,
John