Re: [Xen-devel] status of _patches/linux-2.6.16/*

To: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] status of _patches/linux-2.6.16/*
From: "Christian Limpach" <christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:19:54 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:21:31 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 3/27/06, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >On 27 Mar 2006, at 16:48, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >> I'm a little confused about these patches. Could anyone clarify
> >> whether they
> >> are supposed to be applied? mkbuildtree doesn't seem to use them. And
> >> some
> >> of the stuff in there is present in the sparse tree already, while
> >> other parts
> >> aren't.
> >
> >They're applied by a rule in buildconfigs/Rules.mk.
>
> Just as a follow-up: I was just told that the _patches thing is something that
> gets done to our internal tree, so forget about that inconsistency. What
> remains is the question why some of what's in these patches is already in
> the sparse tree. Is that simply because the patches get applied before
> overlaying the sparse tree, and hence the files that are in the sparse tree
> have to duplicate the code? If so, it would seem much cleaner to remove
> i386-mach-io-check-nmi.patch and smp-alts.patch (as they appear to
> completely live in the sparse tree) and add the few files needed for fully
> applying the others.

Yes, parts of these patches which touch files which are in the sparse
tree are applied to the files in the sparse tree because the patches
get applied before the sparse tree files overwrite the files from the
reference tree.

I find maintaining these patches quite painful and have considered
doing what you suggest several times.  I think I'll make that change
once 3.0.2 is out.

    christian