Re: [Xen-devel] context switch

On 29 Mar 2006, at 01:49, Ky Srinivasan wrote:

What are your thoughts on having a mechanism to manage hypervisor
preemption from guest kernels?

Potentially a scheduler activations interface would be nice for SMP guests, if it's not too hard to modify the OS to support it. I don't see how a preemption aware interface would improve prepare_arch_switch() though -- I already said that failsafe_handler() should pick up the slack if you remove selector zeroing from prepare_arch_switch(). You may get some noise from Xen on a debug build, but things should carry on working just fine.

If I'm missing your point, you need to give some more details about what you're proposing. :-)

 -- Keir