[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 2/24] i386 Vmi config

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 2/24] i386 Vmi config
From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:04:28 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pratap Subrahmanyam <pratap@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wim Coekaerts <wim.coekaerts@xxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>, Joshua LeVasseur <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jack Lo <jlo@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christopher Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Virtualization Mailing List <virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, Anne Holler <anne@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jyothy Reddy <jreddy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ky Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Leendert van Doorn <leendert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Arai <arai@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:58:33 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Introduce the basic VMI sub-arch configuration dependencies.  VMI
>> kernels only are designed to run on modern hardware platforms.  As
>> such, they require a working APIC, and do not support some legacy
>> functionality, including APM BIOS, ISA and MCA bus systems, PCI BIOS
>> interfaces, or PnP BIOS (by implication of dropping ISA support).
>> They also require a P6 series CPU.

Maybe I'm mixing things, but if VMware is capable of running on a i586
(=P5?) (like AMD K6 - and it certainly is capable of doing that),
should not VMI be similar?

For example, the TM5800 CPU which is somewhat of a mixture between i586
and i686 but does not have an IOAPIC can run VMware machines (although
painfully slow).

And, the last thing, distributor kernels are often compiled for i586 to
be generic to all users. But some users may actually run them on i686,
and these users would like to have VMI (speculation :-). Which would
include a forceful patch to Kconfig to have the VMI option available
with CONFIG_M586.

>That's pretty bad because distributors need another kernel still.  At least
>a working APIC isn't quite as common today as it should.

Jan Engelhardt