[Xen-devel] extreme network configuration

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] extreme network configuration
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:09:19 +1100
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:10:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have finally figured out a way to make available to domU's either a
completely trunked vlan (eg tagged packets), or just specific vlans
(with the tags removed), but I'm not sure it's the best way to do it
(even if it is the only way I've found so far:)...

Assuming my 802.1q trunked interface is eth1:

br0: peth1 + vif0.0
br1: eth1
br2: eth1.2
br3: eth1.3
brN: eth1.N

So, if a domain wants a specific vlan, it just uses brX where X is the
vlan it wants. If it wants all vlans complete with 802.1q tags, it uses
br0.

Additionally, I have the following rule to make sure that tagged packets
on eth1 are not L2 routed to br1 but instead to the eth1.N interface:

ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -p 802_1Q -i trunk -j DROP

It all appears to work correctly, but how much am I tempting fate here?

Thanks

James