[Xen-devel] current domU lifecycle work ?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] current domU lifecycle work ?
From: "Andrew D. Ball" <aball@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:14:08 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 22:15:04 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is anyone working on supporting different types of domU
lifecycles at the moment?

Ignoring configuration file based domU persistence, I'm
told that it's possible to have a domU stay around in xenstore
after shutting it down, but that I ought not to do
that because it's buggy.

Having the following primitives supports more
lifecycle models than the behavior I see from xm
create and xm destroy, where xm destroy causes xend
to forget about the domU:

(1) register a domU with xend (initializes a configuration
in xenstore)
(2) turn on that domU
(3) turn off that domU (without removing it from xenstore)
(4) unregister that domU with xend (this is destroying the
domU).

The lifecycle model where domU's disappear after being
shutdown is great for lots of applications like
grid computing and build systems that leave output
and disappear.  However, it does not support nearly as
many lifecycle models as the four primitives above.

Is anyone working on stabilizing this?  Have I overlooked
anything?

Thanks for your help!
Andrew