Re: [Xen-devel] domU clock over 23s off

To: Saku Ytti <saku+xen-devel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domU clock over 23s off
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:47:46 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:50:01 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 26 Feb 2006, at 10:07, Saku Ytti wrote:

I have rather new installation of xen, dom0 is running ntpd and is
perfectly in time. All domU's are ~23s in future. Running ntpd on
the domU's seem to have no effect, /proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock
appears to have no effect. I'm running xen-unstable and 2.6.16-rc4
in AMD64 box.

Any tip would be appricated.

Booting the domU's with 'independent_wallclock' as a command-line parameter, and then running a standard vendor ntp init script (usually ntpdate followed by starting ntpd) certainly *should* have fixed the domU time problem.

Just setting independent_wallclock (no ntpd) would have no effect. ntpd without independent_wallclock also probably wouldn't work well.

I'll check in a (temporary) patch to periodically synchronise Xen's wallclock time with that of domain0. The best fix would be to move ntp's adtimex() syscall down into Xen, but that'll require some heavier lifting (I think it'll work well though, when it's done).

 -- Keir