Re: [Xen-devel] A migration framework for external devices

To: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] A migration framework for external devices
From: "Mike D. Day" <ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:35:53 -0500
Cc: "Cihula, Joseph" <joseph.cihula@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Scarlata, Vincent R" <vincent.r.scarlata@xxxxxxxxx>, Ronald Perez <ronpz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:47:05 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony Liguori wrote:
all). It also allows you to do clever things like vary the port which should add to the security of migration.

Allowing the target to choose the port is good practice but not added security.

Why do plugins have to exist? The only reason to have a plugin mechanism is to be able to maintain plugins outside of the Xend tree which would require a stable plugin interface. I don't think we're at a point where we can do that.

No, you are missing an important point. The plugin mechanism is necessary to isolate specialized device migration code from general-purpose migration code. I don't think it has anything to do with where the plugins are maintained.

This all sounds like it's going to add complexity. The tools are already far too complex.

I think the complexity is already there in the usage scenarios. So this is not adding complexity. Rather it is dealing with complexity that exists. Right now the tools ignore most of the complex scenarios.

Mike