RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: [Xen-devel] [BUNDLE] Testing a simplerinter-dom

To: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, "Yang, Fred" <fred.yang@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RE: [Xen-devel] [BUNDLE] Testing a simplerinter-domain transport
From: "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:18:54 -0800
Cc: Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:29:47 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:
>> Since IA-64 Linux uses bigger pages
>
> More precisely, Linux/ia64 *default configuration* uses bigger
> (default user) page sizes, but page size is configurable
> (4K, 16K, 64K, and even larger).  While
> we may have some control over page size for domain0
> (and maybe driver domains), it is unlikely we can require one
> specific page size for all guest Linux domU's.  And because
> of this, we may need to choose 4K as the lowest common
> denominator.

Today 16KB is the default in the IPF Linux distributions; that's the one
we've ended up with from various aspects. Only academic people are using
different page sizes. The issue is that a kernel with other than 16K is
not qualified for various certifications from ISVs, for example.

You don't need to force 16K, but it's likely that IPF XenLinux needs to
use 16K in practice.

Jun
---
Intel Open Source Technology Center