[Xen-devel] Periodic timer interrupts in the Mini-OS (working?)

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Periodic timer interrupts in the Mini-OS (working?)
From: Simon Kagstrom <simon.kagstrom@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:14:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:24:57 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

I have a question about timer interrupts in the Mini-OS and
HYPERVISOR_set_timer_op. From printouts, it seems like the Mini-OS only
recieves timer events after calling block_domain:

void block_domain(u32 millisecs)
{
    struct timeval tv;
    gettimeofday(&tv);
    HYPERVISOR_set_timer_op(monotonic_clock() + 1000000LL * (s64) millisecs);
    HYPERVISOR_sched_op(SCHEDOP_block, 0);
}

i.e., not the "regular" 10ms periodic events (if I don't call block_domain(),
it will just sit idle). I'm trying to understand why this is the case.

>From looking in the Linux source code, I presume that the periodic ticker is
setup in setup_cpu0_timer_irq() on uniprocessors, and this simply does a
bind_virq_to_irqhandler(VIRQ_TIMER, ...), which is the same thing that the
mini-os does by calling bind_virq(VIRQ_TIMER, ...) in the init_time()
function. These two functions do the same things, including unmasking the
event channel.

The mini-os also does a __sti(), also taken from Linux, to enable event
delivery before init_time().

Is there anything else which needs to be done to deliver periodic timer
events?

--
// Simon