[Xen-devel] Question about pfn, mfn, PSE

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Question about pfn, mfn, PSE
From: "markus rechberg" <m.rechberg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:00:47 +0100 (MET)
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:10:15 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

Just two short question (posted one already on the weekend but maybe it
skipped you attention).

Is PSE on x86-32 (Pagesize 4k and 4M together) activated? So can I setup
PTE mappings with 4k and 4M pages?

Currently I'm stuck when trying to set up the paging correctly. My problem
is that I want to translate all machine frames belonging to the guest
domain to physical page frames and back.
Using the mfn_list from start_info_t I can translate pfn to mfn.
Translate mfn to pfn (using machine_to_phys_mapping from arch-x86_32.h which
points to HYPERVISOR_VIRT_START) the guest domain crashes when I try
to access specific array indeces:

machine_to_phys_mapping[100]; ok
machine_to_phys_mapping[375]; guest domain killed

In the test setup these are 375-389, 2952-54 and possibly some more, also
seems to depend at which index I'm starting (everything above index 2962
seems to work fine).

Could someone give me a hint what I'm missing?

I'm using xen 3.0 testing.

Best Regards, Markus