This is an archived copy of the Xen.org mailing list, which we have preserved to ensure that existing links to archives are not broken. The live archive, which contains the latest emails, can be found at http://lists.xen.org/
Home Products Support Community News


Re: [Xen-devel] Bug: xm commands hanging due to poor threading in xend

To: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Bug: xm commands hanging due to poor threading in xend
From: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:11:42 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:20:25 +0000
Envelope-to: www-data@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In-reply-to: <43D53460.60404@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
List-help: <mailto:xen-devel-request@lists.xensource.com?subject=help>
List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xensource.com>
List-post: <mailto:xen-devel@lists.xensource.com>
List-subscribe: <http://lists.xensource.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xen-devel>, <mailto:xen-devel-request@lists.xensource.com?subject=subscribe>
List-unsubscribe: <http://lists.xensource.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xen-devel>, <mailto:xen-devel-request@lists.xensource.com?subject=unsubscribe>
Organization: TekTonic
References: <43D28927.8060803@xxxxxxxxxxxx> <20060123035932.GA28166@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <43D53278.5090407@xxxxxxxxxxxx> <43D53460.60404@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
User-agent: Thunderbird 1.4 (Windows/20050908)

Matt Ayres wrote:

Matt Ayres wrote:

File limit is 14343 so fd's shouldn't be a problem.

Actually, my thread-max limit was 4400, so in theory this could have been hit by many httpd/mysql/xend accesses.

I raised the thread-max to 16384, increased dom0 RAM to 512MB, and dom0 swap to 1GB and still saw problems throughout the night. I noticed Vincent committed a few memory leak / xenstore fixes today. I immediately pulled that down and am seeing how well things run now.

Users also reported receiving BUG's in their domains, I submitted a bug regarding this. I have set vcpus=1 for every domU now just in case SMP inside the domU was affecting Xen / dom0 Linux.

I will update if this solves my problems or if they change / persist.

Thank you to the Xen developers for assisting me with diagnosing these odd problems that only those of us brave enough to try -unstable in production can probably find :)

Matt Ayres

Xen-devel mailing list