[Xen-devel] [BUG?] process doesn't inherit time left

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] [BUG?] process doesn't inherit time left
From: Guillaume Thouvenin <guillaume.thouvenin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:01:56 +0100
Cc: khoa@xxxxxxxxxx, Gerrit Huizenga <gh@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jean-Pierre Dion <jean-pierre.dion@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 07:09:19 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

  Some of my scripts don't work under XenoLinux. The reason is that
scripts are using execvp() function and the new process image created by
execvp function doesn't inherit the time left to an alarm signal in the
old process'image. According to IEEE Std 1003.1, the inheritance should
be the default behavior. For example under Linux (I mean without Xen
hypervisor), the following program stops after two seconds but under
XenoLinux, it continues to list information about files without
receiving the alarm clock. Here is the program:

--------------------------B<----------------------------------
#include <unistd.h>

int main()
{
        char *args[] = {"/bin/ls", "-lR", "/", (char *) 0 };

        alarm(2);
        execvp("/bin/ls", args);
        return 0;
}

under Linux:

# ./test1
Lists all files and stops after 2 seconds (Alarm clock received)

under Xen + XenoLinux:

# ./test1
Lists all files recursively and continues after 2 seconds.

I don't know if it's really a bug because under Linux, if you don't
assign a handler to the SIGALRM, by default it stops the application. Is
it different with XenoLinux?

Best regards,
Guillaume