[Xen-devel] Recommended Process for Upgrades

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Recommended Process for Upgrades
From: Brian Hays <brian.hays@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:48:31 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:55:46 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

There doesn't seem to be wiki entry for a "Recommended" upgrade process for transitioning from Xen 2.0.7 to Xen 3.0. I've been running Xen 2.0.7 (installed from source distribution) successfully on several machines and want to make sure there are no "gotchas" when upgrading to 3.0.

On a server currently running Xen 2.0.7 would a successful upgrade path (with the least amount of Xen downtime) be to compile the Xen 3.0 source inside the running Dom0, then install the new binaries (I assume they would overwrite existing binaries during make install), update grub.conf, and restart?

I'll be happy to update the wiki with the upgrade info once confirmed.

Thank you,
Brian