RE: [Xen-devel] yanked share, round 2

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] yanked share, round 2
From: "King, Steven R" <steven.r.king@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:55:50 -0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:02:47 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Keir, I'm not familiar enough with zombie anatomy to help there, so let me
try this reasoning: today's Xen architecture cannot promise that a shared page
can ever be returned to normal, non-shared service.  Thus, any DomU that
routinely creates shared pages *must* eventually run out of memory.  Of course
if all DomU's try to play nice, it would take a long while.  We still face a
snag in which Xen allows DomU bugs, DomU crashes and DomU evil to accumulate
over time.  By analogy to the hardware world, a PCI device that could not
promise to let go of pages would be unacceptable.

-steve