Re: [Xen-devel] Re: can not lvcreate after lvm snapshot and "xm mem-set"

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: can not lvcreate after lvm snapshot and "xm mem-set" and lvremove
From: Ralph Passgang <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 19:23:49 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 09:56:40 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I would strongly suggest not to use the lvm snapshot feature.

There were some post in the ML where people reported that the lvm snapshot
feature is not ready for production use. In my opinion it is even worse. At
least in combination with xen it really unstable and unusable (at least in my
tests).

I tried the following, because I though it would be a quite good backup
solution:

- suspend a running xenU Domain in a file via "xm save <domainname>
<suspend-filename>"
- make a lvm snapshot of the corresponding lv
- restore the stopped xen domain
- create a backup of <suspend-file> and the lvm snapshot
- delete the lvm snapshot and <suspend-file>

If this would work correctly, you would have a perfect snapshot of the
filesystem and your running domain and can backup it without downtime of your
system. the only downtime would be the time between the xm save and the xm
restore (max. 3 seconds maybe)

But even if in theory this should work, I had some ugly problems with this in
xen2.0.7 and also xen3

most of the time the xenU Domain became unreponsive (I guess at the point at
which the domain wants to access HDD data) and sometimes the xenU domain even
crashed, sometimes even after the lvm snapshot was already backuped and
deleted.

--Ralph