[Xen-devel] Re: [patch, rfc] put IP addresses into xenstore

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [patch, rfc] put IP addresses into xenstore
From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:37:56 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:43:31 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gerd Knorr wrote:
How do you do that? Assuming there is a dhcp server handing out IP addresses (pretty common these days I think). Is there some way to ask the dhcp server whenever there is a valid lease for a given mac address? Other suggestions to figure the IP address for a given domain?

It's fairly common practice to keep this information in DNS -- either having your DHCP server issue dynamic DNS updates for <hostname>.dhcp.<domainname> or <ethernet-address>.dhcp.<domainname> or somesuch.