[Xen-devel] Re: [linux-usb-devel] Error recovery in Xen's paravirtualizi

To: Harry Butterworth <harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [linux-usb-devel] Error recovery in Xen's paravirtualizing USB driver for Linux
From: Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:20:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-usb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:18:30 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Harry Butterworth wrote:

> > Suspend/resume is liable to cause trouble.  For instance, what happens to
> > the various front-ends if the back-end decides to suspend a USB device?
>
> I don't know.  Could you explain this scenario in more detail (imagine
> that none of the 800 page USB spec sunk in when I read it :-).  What
> should happen in this case?

Suspend and reset are both troublemakers, because they act not on a device
but on the device's parent hub.  However resets are pretty self-contained,
so provided you recognize them and handle them properly you should be
okay.  The back-end won't reset a device all by itself.

The problems with USB suspend are just a small subset of the problems with
suspend in general.  What happens to a front-end if a back-end goes to
sleep, for example?

Your best approach is to make sure that a back-end never tries to suspend
an exported device.  Then the front-end will be completely responsible for
device power management, and no confusion will arise.

Alan Stern