RE: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stopped wor

To: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stopped working
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 06:17:44 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:18:12 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:43:30PM -0800, Magenheimer, Dan
> (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:
>
> > Somewhere between cset 8006 and cset 8112, the virtual block
> > device stopped working for Xen/ia64.  With cset 8112, I get:
> >
> > Error: Device 769 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
> > working.
> >
> > Any suggestions where to start looking or will I need to do a binary
> > search?
>
> Please use xen-bugtool (new in the latest changesets) to
> collect your logs so
> that I can take a look.

Hmmmm... it appears xen-bugtool is born at 8073.  I can go
back to that but have already reproduced the problem at 8054.

HOWEVER... I am now having problems at 8006 which worked
yesterday.  I suspect that there are some Xen tools/files that
are not getting replaced.  (And xen-bugtool doesn't work there
as one would expect... it is still in place because of the

Is there a way to do a "make clean" on all Xen files outside
of the xen-unstable.hg directory to ensure no "old" (or in my case
newer) files/scripts from /etc, /bin/ etc are being accidentally
used?  I know others have experienced this kind of problem and
have "fixed" it by reinstalling their distro from scratch.
I had a disk trashed while I was on holiday and after reinstalling
RH3 from scratch, 8006 worked.  But after going to 8112 (hotplug
error), then 8054 (hotplug error), then 8029 (can't mount
root disk), 8006 didn't work (can't mount root disk).  It
would be a pain if I have to reinstall RH3 again from scratch.

Alternately, perhaps I am using the wrong make command?  I am
doing a "make" in the xen-unstable directory, then
using "make install-tools" (as root)... and of course ensuring
my xen, dom0, and domU images are in the right place.  Perhaps
install-tools is not always overwriting every tool so I am
getting a strange mix of versions (thus the make clean question
above)?

Thanks,
Dan