Re: [Xen-devel] xenbus/xenstore documentation

To: sanjay kumar <sanjay.kushwaha@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xenbus/xenstore documentation
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:32:46 +0000
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:32:51 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 12:21:01PM -0500, sanjay kumar wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> Is there any documentation about xenbus/xenstore, their architecture and
> how they work?
> One particular thing that I am interested in is:
> how does writing to xenstore using xstransact.Write  function trigger the
> creation of a device as commented in
> <xen_root>/tools/python/xen/xend/server/DevController.py:writeDetails
> function?

I sent out a little bit of documentation yesterday.  It's attached.

Basically, you have a device driver running in domain 0 and the guest and
these drivers register watches on the appropriate nodes in the store (see
xenbus_probe.c:xenbus_probe).  When this watch fires, the driver iterates over
all the entries in the store (xenbus_probe.c:dev_changed) and if any new
devices are found, the appropriate device_register and device_create_file
calls are made (xenbus_probe.c:xenbus_probe_node).

Ewan.