[Xen-devel] Cloning(making copies) of VMs

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Cloning(making copies) of VMs
From: sowmya dayanand <sowmyad@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 23:25:41 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 06:26:30 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

We are trying to clone VMs as follows:

(VM1 is a virtual machine, with ip addr 10.10.10.1, and we want to clone it as VM2, with ip addr 10.10.10.2) both running on the same physical machine.

1) Save VM1 as VM1_save (using xm save)
2) copy VM1_save to VM2_save
3) Change the vmid and the IP address info in the saved file to that of VM2  (Any other information to be changed ?)
4) Restore VM1_save and VM2_save (using xm restore)

This whole approach may be totally wrong.

Would appreciate if you could tell me if we can do cloning with this approach of saving and restoring files. We do realise that such an approach will involve a lot of overhead with respect to time but currently we just want an easy  way to clone VMs  without playing around the kernel code.

Thanks,
Sowmya.