Re: [Xen-devel] DMA trouble with current xen-sparse

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Tweedie <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] DMA trouble with current xen-sparse
From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:15:58 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Vincent Hanquez <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:16:16 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 01:51:35PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > Sure, took a bit of time to recompile the kernel (I didn't do
> > this for years) and it crashed as expected, here are the info:
> >
> >   ptr: f160ed8e 1514
> >
> > the size looks a full ethernet frame, i.e. 1500 of payload, 2
> > ethernet addresses and the 2bytes for the ethernet type, that
> > looks kosher to me but clearly it is not aligned.
>
> This allocation isn't aligned to the next power of 2 boundary ---
> usually 1514 byte allocations are 2KB aligned.
>
> You're not enabling some experimental option in your config that changes
> the alignment of slab allocations are you?

  Hi Ian,

sorry for not responding to your previous message. The point is that I don't
really know offhand myself those kernel internals aspects. Steven can certainly
provide a more informed answer. I checked our kernel config, and I see

  CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y

to be set up in our kernel-2.6.12-i686-hypervisor.config. Browsing to check
all the other DEBUG option which might be potentially relevant I only found
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM and CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO enabled.
CONFIG_DEBUG_DRIVER is not set. The Xen options are:

CONFIG_XEN=y
CONFIG_ARCH_XEN=y
CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ=y
CONFIG_XEN_WRITABLE_PAGETABLES=y