Re: [Xen-devel] pagetable handling in xen

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Aaron J. Marks wrote:

> i'm trying to understand how xen handles pagetables, but i'm a bit
> confused:
>
> 1. where is a new domain's memory mapping initialized in xen?
> 2. what're the differences between idle_pg_table and linear_pg_table and
> are they indexed by guest linear page #s or hardware page #s?
> 3. [this is more of an affirmation, than a question] xen can't arbitrarily
> access *any* physical page because it doesn't map all of physical
> memory (eg, like linux does from PAGE_OFFSET)?

okay, after staring at the code for a while (too long), i think i
understand 1 & 2. however, i'm still uncertain about #3.

i'd like to be able to iterate over every page table of every domain from
*within* xen. is this possible? i guess the basic mechanism that i need is
to be able to temporarily map a domain's machine pages into xen address
space, do the traversal, then unmap (and repeat for each domain).

thanks,
-A.