Re: [Xen-devel] DMA trouble with current xen-sparse

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:36:17AM -0500, Stephen Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 03:32:58PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
>
> > Does your card support TSO? What revision e1000 is it?
>
> Yes, and I'll check on Friday once I'm back from travelling (but it is
> a very recent box.)

  I am seeing the exact same problem with my Dell Latitude D800 laptop using
Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet
(rev 01)
This is a relatively common and not so recent configuration.

> > Please can you try turning it off with:
> >   ethtool -K eth0 tso off
>
> I already tried that and it did not help.  I've also tried both gcc32
> and gcc4 with no success.

[root@localhost ~]# ethtool -K eth0 tso off
Cannot set device tcp segmentation offload settings: Operation not supported

  too bad ...
  with 'swiotlb=force swiotlb=8m' kernel parameters the box is stable,
without it very basic network access can crash it (say 'locate lib' over ssh)
and then the whole system reboots.

  100% reproductible for me, and without crazy hardware :-)

   Hope this helps,

Daniel

veillard@xxxxxxxxxx  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/