Re: [Xen-devel] x86-64 Net Performance

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] x86-64 Net Performance
From: Alexander Charbonnet <alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:47:18 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nicholas Lee <emptysands@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:44:34 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I did `apt-get source glibc`, edited debian/sysdeps/amd64.mk to comment out
the couple of lines enabling NPTL, then used dpkg-buildpackage to generate
new .debs.

Your skepticism was warranted; I double-checked my changes to that file, and I
had also disabled a line that set -O3 for the compile.  This seems to account
for the performance difference on native; recompiling with -O3 intact slows
things down to normal.  So the conclusion is that NPTL / TLS doesn't make
much difference.

However, it's kind of odd that disabling -O3 would make things faster on
native, but have no effect on Xen.

Alex