[Xen-devel] A weird behavior of xenconsole on XEN/IA64

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] A weird behavior of xenconsole on XEN/IA64
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:35:26 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:33:16 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I saw a weird behavior related to xenconsole, when I'm working on domU
support on XEN/IA64:

After following sequence:
# lomount -t ext2 -diskimage /root/xenia64.img -partition2 /mnt
# xend start
# xm create -c

I can see domU boot messages flushed out immediately, but quiet at about
ACPI initialization. Then I have to do:

# Ctrl + ]
# xm console 1
# Ctrl + ]
# xm console 1
# Ctrl + ]
# xm console 1

Exactly at third "xm console 1", the subsequent messages continues to
show. Seems like this is not delayed message because domU's progress
seems also halt for same long period and then continue to boot.

Definitely I don't want to confuse anybody here, and it's very likely to
be an XEN/IA64 specific issue (out of sync for some time). I post it
here just in case any guys familiar with this part can point me some
possible clues about normal work flow of xenconsole, which then can help
me to find root cause. ;-)

Actually some time later, wait_for_blkif in blkfront also warns "timeout
to connect to device". Though there may be other reasons for the
connection, I'm also interested whether the reason for incontinuous
console message also relates to this one.

Is it possible from the lock of xenbus? One background is, xenstore has
already been setup correctly, and I can see some transaction succeeded
on that page.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Kevin