[Xen-devel] xen lockup problems

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] xen lockup problems
From: Tracy R Reed <treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:52:06 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:50:05 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,

I have run into some odd problems with xen which I think are bugs. I
have filed bug numbers 226 and 227 in bugzilla. After filing these two
bugs I decided that maybe the bleeding edge just wasn't for me so I
removed the xen-unstable installation from my system and installed the
xen-stable 2.0.7. Now I am seing something similar to what I reported in
bug 227 except instead of just the domain becoming unresponsive my
entire machine locks up. No network, no numlock on the keyboard,
nothing. I have strace'd xm on both unstable where the domain would
freeze but the rest of the system would operate normally and stable
where the whole machine would lockup and they both die the instant the
command is sent to xend. Does anyone have any advice on how I should go
about troubleshooting this? The machine is a pretty generic P4 with 512M
of RAM and IDE disk running CentOS 4.1 in the dom0 and domU. One odd
thing is that the Xen 2.0.5 demo CD works perfectly on this machine if I
disable the USB controller in the BIOS. Domains can be created and there
are no lockups.

--
Tracy R Reed
http://ultraviolet.org