[Xen-devel] Live Migration algorithm in Xen Unstable ; tracing pre-copyi

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Live Migration algorithm in Xen Unstable ; tracing pre-copying stage
From: Rami Rosen <rosenrami@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:40:37 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:38:33 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

   I want to understand Migration and Live Migration in Xen and to trace the code
which implements it.

  I had read the "Live Migration of Virtual Machines" doc
from the  Architecture page of Xen WebSite.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/netos/papers/2005-migration-nsdi-pre.pdf

 Two Migrations methods are being dealt with: Managed Migration and Self Migration.

The work of Managed Migration is done with daemons weheras the work of Self Migration is being done mostly on the OS which is being migrated.

I remeber I saw in some 2.0.* version an xfrd daemon which handled live migration (if I am not wrong). I assume that it was a implementation of Managed Migration.

In xen-unstable the xfrd it is removed.

I have two questions:

1) Is the live migration in xen-unstable implemented via Managed Migration
or Self Migration ? In case it is a Managed Migration - what is the daemon
who is managing this ?

2) Show me the code:
   As I understand , much of the live migration process is based on using
shadow pages and a dirty bitmap vector (shadow.c, shadow_guest32.c ,shadow_public in arch/x86 in the case of intel x386).

   Where is the migration implementation in Xen-unstable ? I mean , for a start, where is the code  for the pre-copying stage ,which is the first stage in migration,
and is used by both methods, Managed and Self Migration ?

Regards,
Rami Rosen