Re: [Xen-devel] virtualGraphicCards

To: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] virtualGraphicCards
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 01:19:59 +0100
Cc: "Retzki, Sascha \[Xplain\]" <sascha.retzki@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Daniel Hulme <dh286@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 00:18:34 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >I'd be inclined to implement the Xen video device in the guest kernel,
> > then get X to use that (as it can for existing framebuffer drivers).
>
> The problem with framebuffers is that you lose higher level primatives
> (like blitting, rect fills, moves).  Modern remote display protocols
> (NX, VNC) are optimized to take advantage of these higher level primatives.

Yep, true.  We'd talked about having a "side channel" that could be used to
relay accelerated operations to speed up blitting, etc.  This could also
describe what areas of the framebuffer to rescan...

A nice idea might be to have the kernel framebuffer device, which could be
used successfully by X (and svgalib, framebuffer console, etc) at some
performance cost.  An optional X11 module would allow X to also use the
explicit sidechannel in order to get maximum performance.

That said, I think the NX protocol you mentioned is really slick: it uses
various round trip suppression mechanisms to combat network latency - I
imagine they'd work to limit the hit from context switching in the Xen
environment.

Cheers,
Mark