Re: [Xen-devel] SATA detect fails on ICH7 chipset / DellPoweredgeSC430

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] SATA detect fails on ICH7 chipset / DellPoweredgeSC430
From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 18:45:36 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:43:31 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 05/09/05, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > > There really is no good explanation for a) why the MMIO
> > region is so
> > > low on native, and b) why it is different under Xen. I
> > suspect this is
> > > a native bug that is being compounded by Xen.
> >
> > It appears to work under native though. I think I'll go and
> > ask on the lkml.
>
> It might be entertaining to stick another 1GB of RAM in the machine and
> see what both native and Xen do.

I couldn't quite manage that, but I did pull one of the 512MB DIMMs. Results:

xen:
06000000-060003ff : 0000:00:1f.2

native:
20000000-200003ff : 0000:00:1f.2
  20000000-200003ff : libata

> Also, do you have Windows on the machine? It would be interesting to see
> where it puts the MMIO space (it might tell us whether the BIOS is
> putting it at 1GB, or whether Linux is re-mapping it).

I feel dirty, but have answers.

ide controller appears with memory range febffc00-febfffff
pci bus memory range for above is f4000000 - febfffff
tg3 eth is at exact same address as linux
video controller ec.. ef.. is at exact same address as linux

I noted that under linux we get the boot message:
Allocating PCI resources starting at 40000000 (gap: 40000000:b0000000)
and ide controller appears at 40000000... but not ethernet or video,
they stay at the same old addresses. Is it just my imagination or does
that address look like the one for the pci bus under windows shifted
left by 4 bits? Probably coincidence.