[Xen-devel] Weird time problems in xen-unstable

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Weird time problems in xen-unstable
From: Bernhard Schmidt <berni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:17:02 +0000 (UTC)
Delivery-date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:16:16 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've have some problems regarding the correct time in current
xen-unstable hg-pull running on x86_64 (Athlon64 on nForce3) with Ubuntu
Hoary amd64.

The clock in xen0 seems to run fine, but the offsets all tools and
daemons from ntp are reporting are totally broken. For example

$ date; sudo ntpdate -u ntp1.ptb.de; date
Sun Jul 31 01:01:10 UTC 2005
31 Jul 13:03:44 ntpdate[4231]: step time server 192.53.103.103 offset
40039.121455 sec
Sun Jul 31 13:03:44 UTC 2005

I set the wrong time, ran ntpdate and the clock is ticking correct now
(so setting the time works). But, ntpdate is still very wrong about the
offset after that

$ date; sudo ntpdate -u ntp1.ptb.de; date
Sun Jul 31 13:04:54 UTC 2005
31 Jul 13:04:54 ntpdate[4237]: step time server 192.53.103.103 offset
-3383.983094 sec
Sun Jul 31 13:04:54 UTC 2005

$ date; sudo ntpdate -u ntp1.ptb.de; date
Sun Jul 31 13:05:03 UTC 2005
31 Jul 13:05:03 ntpdate[4240]: step time server 192.53.103.103 offset
-3393.353664 sec
Sun Jul 31 13:05:03 UTC 2005

The same problem exists in ntpd, it reports all servers to be about
those ~3400 seconds off (the value changes with time, btw), but the
clock is less than one second off with my workstation. Seeing this, ntpd
of course refuses to sync with the master clocks.

Another problem, when I startup a domU from the correct dated dom0 the
time is totally wrong there

$ date
Mon Aug  1 12:18:43 CEST 2005

this was some seconds ago, so correct would be about

Sun Jul 31 15:08:52 CEST 2005

(CEST is UTC+2). No way to correct this. When I set
xen.independent_wallclock=1 I can correct the time with ntpdate or date,
but ntpdate and ntpd still show the same crazy offsets like in dom0.

The same binaries (from Ubuntu Hoary) run flawless when booted with
Vanilla 2.6.12.3.

Any more information needed?
Bernhard