[Xen-devel] Re: execve() in reboot.c ?

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:48:12PM +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > > SIGINT
> > >
> > > That's not a good idea though, if somebody put nothing in the
> > > ctrlaltdel action, then it's not going to do anything.
> >
> > But isn't that exactly what we want ?   A userspace configurable
> > way to trigger a system reboot.
>
> I kind of like this approach, but it does mean that we can't distinguish
> between a poweroff and a reboot. Do we care?
>
> As I recall, the current approach was copied from one of the other Linux
> architectures.

Additionally modern init supports "powerfail" which is the action to be
triggered when the power fails due to UPS.  Using powerfail and ctrlaltdel
as the 2 actions would provide the different triggers needed for shutdown.
It would allow for userspace configurability very easily.

Though the original problem could probably be solved just by changing the
hard coded user callouts to "/sbin/reboot" and "/sbin/poweroff", which I
believe both exist in busybox (or can both exist).  Given that other things
like hotplug and modprobe are directly called out from the kernel, this
might be an ok approach.

        -Sean