[Xen-devel] debugging xfrd with breakpoints?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] debugging xfrd with breakpoints?
From: AARON J MARKS <ajmarks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 22:49:06 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 02:48:13 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi all,

i'd really like to trace through xc_linux_save() in xfrd (to gain insight
into how you transfer pages into dom0), but when it's under control of gdb
*and* there's a breakpoint set in xc_linux_save, the domain save fails
(most of the time):

jake % /usr/sbin/xm save ttylinux yyy
Error: errors: save failed

and by "most of the time" i mean i've seen it work a few times, but it
usually fails. without the breakpoint, xfrd can be under gdb and the save
succeedes.

is this approach even supported? i'd prefer to use a debugger to step
through the code; printfs are SO crude ;).

if you need trace or log output, just let me know.

thanks in advance,
-A.

--
Aaron Marks
Distributed Systems Lab

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis
 for a system of government."