Re: [Xen-devel] Oops when modprobing ivtv outside of dom0

To: David Muench <davemuench@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Oops when modprobing ivtv outside of dom0
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 07:46:54 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:45:42 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On 7/4/05, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > That's weird. It's crashing somewhere in ivtv_probe(), yet one of the
> > first things that function does is print a line of debug output. But
> > that output hasn;t appeared in your trace. :-/
> >
> > Maybe try adding an explicit printk at the start of ivtv_probe and see
> > if that appears:
> >   printk(KERN_ALERT "**********\n");
>
> You mean the "Found card #" message? That did show up on the one that
> I modprobe'd with ivtv_debug=255.
>
> Here's the dmesg output with the printk added, and with ivtv_debug=255:

Ah, I see the bug. It's in both 2.0 and 3.3 (the unstable version) so
it's worth pointing out to the developers. The following code in
ivtv_setup_pci() is broken:

        if (pci_bus != NULL && pci_bus->vendor == PCI_VENDOR_ID_VIA) {
        } else
                IVTV_KERN_INFO("XXX PCI device: 0x%04x vendor: 0x%04x\n",
                                pci_bus->device, pci_bus->vendor);

The else clause should be 'else if (pci_bus != NULL)'. Otherwise the
debug IVTV_KERN_INFO line crashes trying to dereference a NULL
pointer. :-)

Actually, I think maybe they could get rid of that entire block of
code -- nothing seems to depend on via_fix, which is the variable that
it sets up.

 -- Keir