Re: [Xen-devel] Brief TLS/PAE/xenbus/AGP/Debian/VCS questions

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Brief TLS/PAE/xenbus/AGP/Debian/VCS questions
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:26:05 +0100
Cc: Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:25:04 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> What's happending with the TLS issue? Is /lib/tls still harmful? There
> was talk of a glibc patch - did that ever progress anywhere? Did
> making it work require changes to Xen as well as glibc?

Not harmful but slower.  There is a glibc patch, which you can apply if you
want (the nicest would be for a distro to ship it).  The glibc people weren't
interested in merging it.

Won't be an issue of x86_64, or any other arch.

> PAE support seems to be progressing nicely. Great work! Some mails
> seem to be saying matter of factly that it will be in Xen 3.0 - this
> is great news.

That's the plan.

> There are news of AGP/DRM fixes in 2.0.6. Last time my nForce2 chipset
> fell over by the lack of secondary devices (the bridges) as they were
> hidden by Xen. I guess this is still the case in 2.0.

AGP etc should work now (modulo buggy drivers).

bridges still hidden, AFAIK.  see below...

> Is the new
> PCI/ACPI/etc. code now in unstable? Does that mean that the bridge
> devices should now show up normally and I could new try to get AGPGART
> support working?

Bridges should now appear.

> How far along is xenbus right now? I'm particularily interested in a
> local communication channel between domain 0 and other domains that
> would not be a network interface. Better console support would be
> really nice as well, but in the end that is a secondary concern. What
> remains to be done?

Getting there.  Grep for XenBus and XenStore in the unstable tree.  Others may
have mroe precise news.

> Is anyone making Debian packages of the unstable branch code? If not,
> I guess I will roll my own. The stable packages are still at 2.0.5 in
> the Debian archive, but I guess they will get to 2.0.6 once Adam Heath
> gets a breather from his work.

I think a few people had agreed to co-operate to make this happen.  We're very
keen to maintain the good support Debian has had for Xen.

> The VCS issue is still open I guess? I'm not allowed to use BitKeeper
> anyway, so this is good news to me in a way. But I guess I will keep
> on using the nightly source snapshots until a change has been made.

Switching to Mercurial today.  After tomorrow, we'll never use BK again :-)

> And lastly - roadmap says Xen 3.0 in July - now that would be quite
> soon indeed.

More like 3.0-testing in July.

> That's it for now. This questionnaire is here just if someone happens
> to have the time to fill me in - I will do my own digging if not.

HTH,
Mark