Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] pae: build fix

To: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] pae: build fix
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:51:13 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:46:12 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 22 Jun 2005, at 15:00, Gerd Knorr wrote:

The patch below is needed to make pae-enabled xen build.  Not
sure why the intpte_t cast was added and whenever it is a good
idea to remove it.  Problem is that PAGE_MASK is used to
page-align both physical and virtual addresses, and the cast
causes build failures for the virtual address case.

I added the cast to ensure the mask was 64 bits wide, so that large physical addresses wouldn't get truncated to 32 bits when the mask is applied. I've fixed it to get the same effect a different way -- it's okay to have a narrower-type mask as long as it is signed (so it gets sign-extended if it has to be widened to 64 bits).

 -- Keir