Re: [Xen-devel] No video display, SuSE kernel-xen-2.6.11.4-21.7

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] No video display, SuSE kernel-xen-2.6.11.4-21.7
From: Robbie Dinn <robbie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:15:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:14:53 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello

Replying to myself...

Robbie Dinn wrote:

I am using the same linux kernel through out but changing the
Xen version each time. This wasn't what you asked me to do
but I thought it was worth doing before I got bogged down
with recompiling kernels.

I will try different kernels next.

I have now tried several different kernels

http://www.suse.de/~garloff/linux/xen/RPMs-93/kernel-xen-2.6.11.4-21.7.i586.rpm
  kernel-xen-2.6.11.4-20a.i586.rpm from SuSE 9.3 DVD
  A locally compiled kernel from xen-2.0-testing-src.tgz
  A locally compile kernel from xen-2.0.5-src.tgz

I was using the a xen image compiled from xen-2.0-testing
with each of the above.

In each case, the laptop behaves the same, black text console,
X server on console 7.

Booting a non xen linux kernel works fine of course.

It seems that my problem isn't due to a recent software change.

There is a second rack mounted machine that was apparently
showing the same symptoms, but when I replaced it in the rack,
the text consoles started working, albeit with corrupted fonts.
That machine is running a nameserver and so is off limits for
further testing.

I may try I installing another machine with the same set of
packages to see if I can reproduce the problem.