RE: [Xen-devel] xenstore test crash

To: "Vincent Hanquez" <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rusty Russell" <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xenstore test crash
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:38:06 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Larson <plars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:37:14 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 04:57:09PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > No, it was a straight call to NULL function in xsdaemon.  Probably
> > worth writing a test program and running it in domain 0 and
> checking
> > there's not some weirdness there?
>
> Jumping to NULL has been fixed on friday (on dom0 and domU).

Yep, it was an amusing bug: A test had been added to try and make guest
kernel developer's lives easier by crashing the kernel earlier if they
were causing a jump to an unitialised handler. However, the test was
botched and was looking at the wrong register. The net result was that
any user application jumping at zero would cause Xen to decide to
terminate the whole domain :-)  This only effected recent unstable
builds.

Ian