Re: [Xen-devel] DOM0_GETDOMAININFO intended behavior

To: Kip Macy <kip.macy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] DOM0_GETDOMAININFO intended behavior
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:24:34 -0500
Cc: Daniel Stekloff <dsteklof@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 02:24:38 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kip Macy wrote:

:-) I asked the same question a week or two ago and yes it is intended. It
provides for easy iteration. I think it is kind of a hackish interface
as it isn't uniform with *all* the other DOM0 calls. However, it works
and once you know to check the domid return value your code will work
as expected.
It's always concerned me that something there isn't an atomic interface for getting all running domain information. I've not been able to figure out a situation though where it would create a problem.

It just seems kind of odd that you could do an xc_domain_getinfo of an array of dominfo's and a portion of the array might not be valid when other portions of the array are. It's possible that the call could return two domains that never actually existed together at the same moment in time.

Again, I don't think it's a race condition but it's just odd.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

                     -Kip