Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Install paravirtualized drivers after bootingforhigh

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Install paravirtualized drivers after bootingforhigh-performance IO
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:15:15 +0100
Cc: miaofeng <miaofeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:16:48 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am wondering if device management, like vga, would share the same
> architecture as block device? if that is the case, would vga be accessed by
> guest os directly?
> if that is not the case, shall we have to base it on X11 system?

Right now, a VGA video card is emulated by the ioemu device model in dom0,
which displays the current screen state in an X11 window.  The guest is not
aware of this.

It may well be that initially the block and net drivers are made Xen-aware but
the VGA device continues to be an emulated PCI device.

At some stage in the future, there may be a "virtual framebuffer" device that
will be Xen-aware and use shared memory like the block and net drivers.  This
may give better performance and thus be preferable to the fully emulated
graphics device for desktop systems.  This is likely to be some time after
the Xen-aware block / net devices.

Even further into the future, we might see a high performance Xen virtual 3D
device.  This is some way off, though.

HTH,
Mark