Re: [Xen-devel] SOLVED - domain that won't boot!!!

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] SOLVED - domain that won't boot!!!
From: Tobias Hunger <tobias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 13:01:42 +0200
Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Vincent Hanquez <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 14 May 2005 11:01:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday, 14. May 2005 12:45, James Harper wrote:
> It seems that if I specify CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS without
> CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST, I get an unbootable kernel. Is there any
> case where PHYSDEV without PRIV would be useful? Maybe it shouldn't be
> an allowed combination of options.

You are supposed to be able to run driver domains: Those have physical access
to network and/or block devices and export them to the other domains.

These driver domains of course need physical access to the devices while they
should not be a priviledged guest.

I worked around the unbootable kernel problem by manually editing the .config
file to make sure no non-xen consoles are included in the domU kernel.

Regards,
Tobias