Re: [Xen-devel] Re: kernel panic with ipv6 in Xen

To: Chris Andrews <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: kernel panic with ipv6 in Xen
From: Sam Johnston <samjie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 13:52:39 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 07 May 2005 12:52:14 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> We have a kernel panic on boot under xen when loading the ipv6 module
> >> which was resolved by mounting the device under dom0 and moving the
> >> ipv6 module out of the way. Is this a known problem? Is it likely to
> >> be a xen issue? An ipv6 issue? PEBCAK?
>
> I've seen this after upgrading Xen and the dom0 kernel, then starting a
> domain with the old xenU kernel and modules. Once I ran the new xenU
> kernel and installed its modules in the domU fs I had no problems. This
> was probably around 2.0.3 or so.

Thanks for the feedback.

It would seem then that the best solution for us is to use the debian
kernel packaging tools to create a common kernel which would then be
installed into dom0 and domU along with the matching modules.
Alternatively we could make the dom0 modules available in the guest
domains by mounting /lib/modules read only (as block devices or via
NFS).

Sam