Re: [Xen-devel] Fix for 'acpi=off'

To: "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Fix for 'acpi=off'
From: Arun Sharma <arun.sharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 16:09:49 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 May 2005 23:09:09 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh wrote:
I tried the acpi=off on my 2-by x86_64 box running 32-bit SLES9.
Everything seems to work just fine except for a couple of pfn and page
fault non-fatal errors.

But with acpi=ht, Dom0 hangs while trying to bring up the SCSI devices.
I have included debug output for both cases.

I think this is the issue you're running into:

SMP mptable: no processors registered!
BIOS bug, MP table errors detected!...
... disabling SMP support. (tell your hw vendor)

With acpi=off acpi_lapic is non-zero so this code works:

   /* ACPI may have already provided this data */
   if (!acpi_lapic)
           MP_processor_info(m);

But with acpi=ht, MP table processor info is ignored. I worked around it
by ignoring the processor entries in the MP table always and setting
num_processors=1.

        -Arun