Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen requirments document

To: "Mike D. Day" <ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Xen requirments document
From: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:25:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:26:00 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Mike D. Day wrote:

> http://www.ncultra.org/xen/xen_req.html

The spec looks good to me, just a few small comments:

core.smp.guest.virtual - running with vcpus > #cpus seems to
work already, I'm doing this on a regular basis to test for
bugs ;)

core.dynamic.memory - I'm not sure if it is possible yet to
boot a domain with less memory than its maximum, and grow
the domain's memory later through the balloon driver

we're missing an io.device.virt.discovery - in order to
be able to install into, and manage, a virtual machine,
the OS needs the ability to discover what virtual devices
are present - exporting through sysfs would work fine.
Since this is a requirement for many system administration
tools (eg. kudzu), this should probably be a Xen v3.0 target

io.protocol.ipsec and io.protocol.ipv6 seem to just work,
by virtue of Xen emulating ethernet instead of any particular
protocol - at least ipv6 works in bridging mode, I haven't
tried routed mode yet, nor ipsec